/ / The former building of the Senate of nice: photo description (Senat de Nice)

The former building of the Senate of nice: photo description (Senat de Nice)

Former Senate nice vintage Baroque building two steps away from the bustling Cours Saleya. Here to administer the sovereign power of old nice, has not yet become a plaything of the great powers, there was proclaimed the annexation of the city by France. This is not too noticeable now mansion found evidence of the power and prosperity of the medieval city.

Own Senate gave nice in 1614 the Duke Charles Emmanuel I of Savoy - energetic ruler, a brilliant soldier and diplomat. In fact, it was the Prefecture, and the Supreme court of the district. In 1655 for them close to the chapel of the blessed Trinity and the Holy shroud built a beautiful three-storey building in the Genoese style, with arcades along the side of the facade and a long balcony. Here is the President of the Senate, the senators, the bailiffs.

28 Sep 1792 they fled from the city to nice approaching French revolutionary forces. Restored the Senate was only in 1814, after the collapse of the Empire of Bonaparte. However, the interest of France to the Cote d'azur is not lost. In 1860 the Emperor Napoleon III after secret negotiations concluded with the Kingdom of Sardinia, the Turin contract in which she conceded to France the County of nice in exchange for help in fighting Austria.

To keep up appearances, held a plebiscite in which residents of nice were to Express their attitude to the move to the French citizenship. To speak "for" them solemnly asked the king of Sardinia, Victor Emmanuel II, fiercely against were born in nice of Giuseppe Garibaldi. Two local Newspapers campaigned against the annexation, one for. The overwhelming majority of residents supported annexation. Its critics (and they are there still) indicate that the voices of the opponents was taken into account only if the voter could give an "oral explanation" for his decision. A few residents spoke then in French.

It is in the Palace of the Senate, and was solemnly proclaimed political annexation of nice, which officially withdrew France on 14 June 1860.

From 1860 to 1892, the building housed the Palace of justice. Then came other times: the banker Jules Gilli founded the flophouse (the name of the benefactor is named now the street, which leaves the Senate). Social center existed here up until the present day, when during restoration work under the old building were found the remains of powerful fortifications of the thirteenth century. Now archaeologists are continuing the excavation, increasingly leaving in ages.