/ / The building of the Parliament of Dijon: photo description (Parlement de Dijon)

The building of the Parliament of Dijon: photo description (Parlement de Dijon)

Despite the fact that currently, in the building of the Parliament of Burgundy is the court of appeal of Dijon, it is open to the public. The houses of Parliament (or Palace of justice) located next to the Palace of the Dukes of Burgundy.

The history of this Palace began in 1478 with the decree of Louis XI about transfer of the administrative centre of Burgundy from Beaune to Dijon. So the Governor decided to punish the inhabitants of Beaune for disobedience. By the time the region of Burgundy was already annexed to France. The Parliament as a body was established in 1354 by Duke Philip of Burgundy, and called by the States General. In Bonn he met in the Palace of the Dukes of Burgundy.

At Dijon Parliament, was moved only two years later, in 1480. In the new capital of Burgundy was not a suitable building for the sessions of the Parliament, it began to build only in 1510 after the death of Louis XI. The construction was conducted more than a year - arrived in Dijon in 1522 Francis I noted the progress in the construction, although by the time was finished only one room, with stained-glass Windows. The entire Palace was decorated with eight srisailam - colored stained-glass paintings, of which up to our days there were only three. Of the most remarkable places of the Palace also mention the chapel of the Holy spirit in which the service was performed before each court session, and the floor of conference room. Wooden carved front door and the decor of the facade was made by Hugo Sambana, who was the architect of the entire project.

After the final transition of Burgundy under the rule of France the work has accelerated. The construction of the Parliament hall and the façade was completed in 1571. After that, the Palace was rebuilt several times, one of the conversions was made in the XVII century and was dedicated to the visit of Louis XIV.