/ / Historical Museum in the town Hall of Mulhouse: photo, description Hotel de ville de Mulhouse)

Historical Museum in the town Hall of Mulhouse: photo, description Hotel de ville de Mulhouse)

In the town hall, located in the centre of Mulhouse, on certain days there are meetings of the city authorities. In addition, there are wedding ceremony. But most of the visitors come to the former town hall in order to visit the Museum and discover the history of the city.

Town hall of Mulhouse was built in 1553 and was intended for meetings of the city Council. The philosopher Michel de Montaigne, admiring its appearance, called the building a "magnificent gilded Palace". Hall really was colored in red paint with gold - the truth, mainly because the city authorities decided to save on the stucco and other relief decorations and ordered just draw them. Today the pink facade of the town hall called fraudulent. It is possible to see shapes that represent human virtues. From afar they are really easy to take for sculptures, but they just are artfully drawn pictures.

The building of this town hall was built on the foundations of the former, which was built in 1431 and burned in the middle of the XVI century. The construction of the new city hall was started immediately, barely had time to clean up the charred remains of the previous building. For the decoration of the facade was invited by the artist Jean Gabriel, the author of the painting. Among the figures, personifying the virtues, also depicted the prophet Moses with the tablets.

On one of the walls of the town hall you can see the stone head and intimidating. This is a copy of the so-called "stone of the batter", which until the XVIII century was punished gossips. Offense was supposed to carry this head weighing 12 kilograms from city hall to the city gates and bring it back. The original "stone of the batter is stored in the Museum, which is located in the town hall.

The Museum also presents household mulazzi - clothes, furniture, toys, and even paintings and historical documents. The exhibits of this Museum can be called the preserved parts of the interior of the town hall's candlesticks, the emblems of Mulhouse and Alsace, elements.