/ / Carmelite Church, (Eglise Saint-Symphorien-les-Carmes)

Carmelite Church, (Eglise Saint-Symphorien-les-Carmes)

The move of the popes to Avignon gave France a huge cultural and religious heritage. Due to the fact that for a long time the papacy was in Avignon, the town received the Papal Palace, many churches and monasteries, a library with a collection of rare books, rich architecture.

Carmelite Church is one of the religious heritage of France. This Church in the old Carmelite convent was built in 1267. Later it was destroyed and then recovered almost two centuries. Its full name is the Church of Saint-Symphorien de CARM, or Carmelite Church of St. Symphorien. It is located on the square of the Carmelites.

The order of Carmelites was founded in the mid-twelfth century during the Crusades, taken by the monks who arrived to the Holy Land from Western Europe and settled near the spring of St. Elijah on mount Carmel. The founder of the order considered by the Crusader Berthold of Calabria, at whose request, the Patriarch albert of Jerusalem in 1214, made up rules for the monks, differ special severity — the Carmelites had to live in individual cells, to pray constantly, to observe a strict fast, including completely abandon meat, as well as significant time to spend in complete silence. Later, the rule was mitigated by Pope innocent IV.

The first Avignon Carmelite monastery in the XII century was outside the city wall. The reconstruction of the Church was begun under Pope John XXII in 1320, but restoration work was continued until the XVI century. The Church was consecrated on 10 April 1520. During the Revolution this Church becomes a place for public meetings, and then settled here the Jacobins. As a result, some monastic buildings were destroyed. In 1803, the Church was renamed the parish of St. Symphorien. Here is a set of objects of art: antique sculptures, paintings, wooden altar with gold.