/ / The Cathedral of Le Havre: photo description (Cathedrale Notre-Dame du Havre)

The Cathedral of Le Havre: photo description (Cathedrale Notre-Dame du Havre)

Cathedral of Notre-Dame-de Havre was built over two centuries - from the XVI to the XVIII and is now considered one of the oldest buildings in the city.

Its construction began in 1536. Subsequently, the Cathedral was rebuilt several times and the result acquired from the West side deserves attention facade in the Baroque style, decorated with figures of angels, and also a large window above the altar, through which inside of the temple looks light and airy. The bell tower, located next to the Cathedral, was built earlier and was part of the earlier religious buildings. Another feature of the Cathedral is an ancient organ, which was donated by cardinal Richelieu in 1639.

The Cathedral was damaged during the French revolution, but the damage was not as serious as the one that was caused to him during the Second world war. At that time the city was almost completely destroyed and after the war, its center was rebuilt by the architect Auguste Perret. He, in particular, has designed a new town hall and the Church of St. Joseph. The architect died in 1954 and the reconstruction of the city after his death was continued for another ten years. The centre of Le Havre, rebuilt using Perret, included in the list of world heritage of UNESCO since 2005.

The restoration of the temple lasted for three decades. After the restoration the temple was re-opened to the public in 1974. In Le Havre Cathedral is located on Rue de Paris area of Paris.

Because of the Second world war the city survived several historic buildings, among them the so-called "house of the shipowner", which is now a Museum dedicated to the life of the petty bourgeoisie of the XVIII century, the monastery Gravel-Saint-Honorine.