/ / Cathedral of orange: photo description (Cathedrale Notre-Dame-de-Nazareth d'orange)

Cathedral of orange: photo description (Cathedrale Notre-Dame-de-Nazareth d'orange)

Cathedral of Notre-Dame-de-Nazareth has long been the center of the diocese of orange. The first mention of it date from the end of IV century, but after the French revolution, according to the Concordat - a Treaty concluded in 1801 between Napoleon and the Catholic Church, the diocese of orange among many other dioceses were abolished.

The Cathedral was consecrated in the beginning of XIII century. This is the main part of the building of the temple, but some parts of it formerly belonged to the Church, built in the VI century. The Cathedral was built in the centre of orange, close to town hall. He stands on the street, which was also named after Dame, Rue de Notre Dame.

In the following centuries the appearance of the Cathedral has experienced many changes, both constructive (construction of the belfry in the first half of the XIV century or tympanum of the southern entrance to the XVI century) and the poor, due to political events in the country. One of these devastating attacks, the Cathedral survived during the years of the religious wars of the XVI century, when the Church was relieved of a large bell, which the building sank, and the treasures of the temple were looted. During the great French revolution such serious loss and destruction, the Cathedral was avoided largely because he was turned into a sanctuary for a new cult. At the beginning of the XIX century the Cathedral was returned to the Catholic Church.

In the nineteenth century also updated the appearance of the Cathedral in 1827, was attached to the Western portal, and in the temple there are three stained glass. On the tympanum of the Western entrance and on one of the stained glass Windows depicted the Church Council held at orange in 529. Two other stained glass Windows depicted the virgin and Saint Eutropios, a former local Bishop in the fifth century.

On the walls of the Cathedral, are preserved fragments of paintings made in XIV and XVII-XIX centuries. They can see the scene of the assumption and decorative ornaments. The Church's floor was paved with mosaics in the nineteenth century.