/ / Cathedral. Andrew: photos, description (Cathedrale Saint-Andre de Bordeaux)

Cathedral. Andrew: photos, description (Cathedrale Saint-Andre de Bordeaux)

The Cathedral of Saint-andré in Bordeaux was consecrated in honor of St. Andrew. It is an area of Ne-Berlin near Rohan Palace.

This temple was built on the site of an early Christian Church, in the historical documents preserved mention of the temple, which was built on this site in the third century, another Church was built in the early ninth century. Construction of the Cathedral of St. Andrew began in the XI century. His consecration took place in 1096, but the Cathedral was erected in a period of almost five centuries.

Often the cathedrals of France became a place of detention crowned marriages, and this fact became a notable event in the history of the Church. In the Cathedral of St. Andrew were married in 1137, Eleanor of Aquitaine and the future king Louis VII.

From XII to XVI century was reconstructed and the reconstruction of the Cathedral in this period, the temple appeared additional floor of the nave, North portal, double Lancet Windows and pointed arches, and detached from the main building tower in the flamboyant Gothic style with an eight-ton bell, installed in the second half of the XIX century. During the great French revolution, the Cathedral suffered only minor damage, but in the beginning of the next century were carried out restoration work.

Today the guests of Bordeaux appears in the amazing beauty of the Cathedral, made in Gothic style. Its symmetrical towers rise to a height of 80 meters, the facade is decorated with images of the last judgment, over which is a window in the form of rose, decorated with floral motifs. Inside the temple you can see paintings and sculptures, the earliest of which date from the XIV century, the astronomical clock, 1782, and on a great-sounding - though of modern origin.

The Cathedral of St. Andrew in 1998, is a world heritage site by UNESCO. This registry it was listed as one of the temples located on the pilgrims way to Santiago de Compostela.