/ / Cathedral. Carlo Borromeo: photo description (Cathedrale Saint-Charles-Borromee de Saint-Etienne)

Cathedral. Carlo Borromeo: photo description (Cathedrale Saint-Charles-Borromee de Saint-Etienne)

The French city Saint-Etienne is the administrative centre of the Loire Department of the rhône - Alpes region, located just South of the center of the country. The city is named in honor of St. Stephen, as the word "étienne" is French equivalent of this name. The first mentioning about this village appeared in 1258, and from the XVI century, there began a frantic pace to develop the Armory and coal industries. With the rise of the industrial revolution in the mid-nineteenth century the urban population has more than tripled - at the beginning of the century there were about 30 thousand people, and in 1880 the number of inhabitants exceeded one hundred thousand. It is obvious that the city needed a new, larger Cathedral. The first plans appeared in 1830, but it took over 80 years to implement them - because of the political instability grandiose construction has been repeatedly postponed.

Finally, in 1923, was erected this imposing building, consisting of five naves, and reaching 80 meters in length. It was built in the shape of a Latin cross, and is characterized in that the choruses, finished in 1930, oriented to the West, which is contrary to religious canons. Overall, the temple is built in typical neo-Gothic style. The Western facade of the Cathedral is crowned by a graceful belfry. Interestingly, the final draft of the building was so massive that the Cathedral to this day remains unfinished. It was assumed that the whole architectural ensemble is crowned by a huge dome supported by four such towers.

The Church was consecrated in honor of cardinal Carlo Borromeo, the leader of the Counter-reformation canonized in 1610 - after 25 years since his death.

The interior of the temple is designed in a simple style, although there are some bright elements in the art Deco style. Basically, the interior presented a bronze bas-reliefs and marble sculptures. Stained glass and mosaic was completed in 1930. Also worth noting is the massive bronze chandeliers, each weighing about 130 pounds. In the Cathedral there are two on - 1930 and 1967. Preserved jewelry belonging to the previous city churches is an old crucifix and statues of the two saints, made in the XIX century.