/ / The Cathedral of Saint-Pierre: photo, description Cathedrale Saint-Pierre de Vannes)

The Cathedral of Saint-Pierre: photo, description Cathedrale Saint-Pierre de Vannes)

The Cathedral of Saint-Pierre in Vannes is located in the old, historical part of the city, where it is permitted only pedestrian traffic.

The Cathedral, named after St. Peter, keeps the relics of another Saint - Vincent, who lived in the city at the end of XIII-early XV centuries and was widely known as a preacher of the Dominican convert to Catholicism many heretics. Vincent died in 1419, and in the middle of the century, was canonized. The place of burial of his remains in the Cathedral of Saint-Pierre drew large crowds of pilgrims, and so the temple, and could not cope with such flow of sufferers, it was decided to rebuild and expand.

The Saint-Pierre Cathedral was built several centuries - from the XI to the XVI century, plus in the XVIII century it experienced a reconstruction of the choir, and in the middle of the XIX - reconstruction of the West facade.

The first Church building was built on this place in the first half of XI century, when the city of van (today center of the Department of Morbihan) was the center of Brittany. Rebuilding associated with the burial of St. Vincent, lasted from the mid-fifteenth century to 1520. Then, from the Romanesque building has been preserved, the North tower and the Central nave was built in the style of "flaming Gothic".

In the first half of the XVI century was built the Renaissance chapel, which were transferred to the relics of St. Vincent. Later in the Cathedral and next to him there were other images of the preacher is a painting of the new altar, and the statue, which was installed in front of the main entrance to the temple.

The Cathedral Treasury, which was reconstructed in the years 1771-1774, stores, religious objects, among which the ancient theology books, the cross of gold and staves of ivory. In the chapel of the Cathedral you can also see the old tapestry, made in the early seventeenth century depicting St. Peter. Before entering the temple on the North side is a Brittany cross, Dating from the XV century.