/ / The Croix Rousse: photo, description La Croix-Rousse)

The Croix Rousse: photo, description La Croix-Rousse)

District Fourviere in Lyon called "the hill that prays", and the area of Croix-Rousse "the hill that works".

The heyday of Lyon as a centre of textile production occurred in the early nineteenth century - after his native by the name of Jaccar invented the loom, and the cloth, it produced, over time, became known as jacquard. In the early nineteenth century weavers, before that lived in the Old Lyon, began to move EN masse to the hill of Croix-Rousse. They settled families in apartment houses, in every room where stood the loom. Today the textile past of the Croix Rousse recalls the Museum "House of the weavers", as well as several boutiques and shops that sell silk products.

The Croix Rousse was the venue of the tragic events of 1834 - the execution of the weavers, protesting against low wages. All in all, in Lyon in the nineteenth century there were three uprisings of the workers - besides the already named, in 1831 and 1848.

As in Lyon and the Old quarter of Lyon, in the Croix-Rousse you can see the famous Lyon traboule - passages through the houses, through which you can quickly and quietly move from one street to another. There are several versions of the origin of Lyons traboules. On one of them, traboule exist since ancient times. On the other, they appeared during the Renaissance and are borrowing from Italian architecture. In Croix-Rousse traboule appeared during the mass migration of weavers. In these passages they could quickly find themselves at the foot of the hill, where were merchants, raw silk merchants and tissues. In the XX century during the Second World traboule helped to escape from the persecution of the Resistance fighters.

Additional area attractions include La Croix Rousse is called the monument to the inventor of the loom Joseph-Marie Zaccaro, mural on the wall of the house on the Boulevard of Weavers and huge stone. The mural makes looking at her believe that before him is a staircase and behind a few houses, and not the picture. Boulder was found during the construction of the funicular railway in 1890, even has its own name - "the Big stone".