/ / The belfry: photos, description (Beffroi de Dunkerque)

The belfry: photos, description (Beffroi de Dunkerque)

In the medieval cities of Flanders, the belfry, called the tower of the city Council, on which hung the alarm bell. Its ringing summoned all the citizens to resolve any important issues and in case of danger or inform you about the start of a great holiday. In some cities, the belfry was built onto the building, which housed city officials, the meeting room, the Treasury, the office and archives.

But the tower-belfry of Dunkerque is a slightly different story. It was originally built as the bell tower of the Church of St eligius. The tower was built in 1440, connecting it with the Church, however, at the end of the eighteenth century both buildings were separated by a road. The tower was built of red brick, its height amounted to almost 60 meters. Earlier on the bell tower stood guard tower.

In 1840 the belfry in Dunkerque recognized historical monument of France, in the beginning of this century, along with other Belfort in France and Belgium, declared world heritage, protected by UNESCO.

In the twentieth century at the foot of the tower appeared a Cenotaph in memory of the victims of the First world war, and in the second half of the century was a set of 48 bells. This Carillon is in working condition and still in use today. Each of the sides of a square tower in its upper part is decorated with a clock.

The place where the belfry is located in Dunkerque is a Central square named after the famous pirates Jean Bar, a native of Dunkirk, the glorious sailors and warriors. His tomb is in the Church of St eligius, which was reconstructed in the XIX century and acquired a new façade in neo-Gothic style.