/ / Column Medici: photo description (Colonne Medicis)

Column Medici: photo description (Colonne Medicis)

In a carefully studied and described the Paris of the store where remained a mystery. Column Medici built in 1547 is one of those places.

It is in the district of Les Halles, as if leaning against the wall of the Paris Commodity exchange, and looks a little strange and inappropriate. Before the column was part of the Palace of Catherine de Medici. After the death of the owner of the Palace had been resold several times, and in 1748 was demolished. It remains only a hollow Doric column with a height of 31 meters, width of 3, presumably designed by architect Jean Bullan. The column is decorated with eighteen flutes with carved ornament - crown Royal lilies, cornucopia, monogram Latin letters C and H. the initials of Catherine de Medici and her beloved husband Henry II. Inside the tower a narrow spiral staircase with the broken stairs lead up to a platform with metal grating in the form of a sphere.

Of course, when Catherine de Medici, this column is dominated in the area. Was it a watchtower? A symbol of Royal power? Or, as suggested by many researchers, is an astronomical Observatory that was used by the Royal astrologer Ruggieri? Cosimo Ruggieri was the closest adviser of Catherine de ' Medici, before making important decisions she always turned to him for predictions. Perhaps together they overcame 147 of the steps and climbed to the upper platform to observe the stars (the sign in the column was near the Palace).

Now who can say exactly? Evidence is not left. Ruggeri believed in the people as a sorcerer. Told me that when he died, his body dragged through the streets of Paris and threw it on the roadside, and then at night on the top of the column often saw a dark figure. The tower itself was almost destroyed in the eighteenth century, but the writer Louis de Baseman took pity on her, bought and presented to the city. On the site of the Royal Palace came the Bread market, and when it burned, it in 1889 was replaced by a Commodity exchange. Round the stock exchange building with a glass roof and steel structures is one of the first examples of collaboration architect (Bellange) and engineer (Brunet). Column Medici pressed to the wall of the exchange, at its foot is a fountain, no pieces on top no one else sees.