/ / Covered bridges: photos, description (Ponts couverts)

Covered bridges: photos, description (Ponts couverts)

Covered bridges in Strasbourg is currently the roofs have not, although once on each of the four bridges was not only roofing, but also loopholes. Built in the first half of the XIII century, bridges played the role of defensive city buildings and protect the navigable channels of the river ill. Bridges were thrown across the channels, which led to the Petite France district and the districts that housed the mill - Spicule, Dittemore and Commune.

The bridges were originally built of wood, but was growing quickly and by the second half of the XIX century were formed in their final shape to our days preserved structures already folded Sandstone. In the XVII century, the famous military engineer Sebastien de Vauban built around Strasbourg a new belt of the town fortifications (of which preserved only the Vauban's dam), and therefore the bridges had to some extent lost its defensive function and by the end of XVIII century lost some of its "ammunition", for example, roofs.

The ensemble of the Strasbourg covered bridges also includes four towers grim and no less grim "biography". Originally there were five towers, but one of them, the tower of Chains was destroyed in 1869 during a fire. Fortresses also have names - the French, the tower of the Executioner, Heinrich and Hans von Altheim. In these towers for many years housed prisons, including one female. The worst place was a prison in the tower of the Executioner, where prisoners were subjected to severe torture with the use of special tools for the most sophisticated tortures that have been practiced by the inquisitors. As a prison the tower was used until 1823, and the tower Executioner has served for ten years longer. The dungeons of this prison, despite their dark past, are very popular among tourists.

Best review on indoor bridges and towers opens from the Vauban dam, which is now just a viewing platform. And the bridges is very convenient to admire views of Strasbourg. The ensemble covered bridges and towers from 1988, protected as a UNESCO world heritage site.