/ / Lautrec: photo description (Lautrec)

Lautrec: photo description (Lautrec)

Lautrec is a beautiful old village in the South of France, region MIDI - Pyrenees. It is included in the Association "Most beautiful villages of France". It is home to more than a thousand people. The nearest major town is Toulouse, which is located 60 kilometers to the West.

The first mention of the settlement dates back to the IX century when it was Emperor Charlemagne. He also commanded to build the first building of the town Church, consecrated in honor of St Remigius, Bishop of Reims, who baptized king Clovis in the late fifth century. In the year 1000 on the hill a castle was built, owned by local seniors - the viscounts de Lautrec. However, during the numerous wars from this building there are only parts of fortifications. Interestingly, during the religious wars of the XVI century, the inhabitants of Lautrec remained faithful to Catholicism.
The modern building of the Church of St Remigius refers to the XIV century, and its arched ceiling appeared only in 1769. The main decoration of the temple is its luxurious marble altar.

The town itself is a single architectural ensemble, there are lots of residential houses and mansions of the XVI century. Market square dates back to the XIV century, and one of the city gates - XIII century. A special appearance of the settlement give the graceful windmills, one of which, built in the XVII century, is the oldest working windmill in the whole of France. Also the area is a Roman stone road still ancient times. On the highest point of the settlement - on top of a hill Salette 328 meters above sea level) stands the old cross.

Interestingly, the famous French post-impressionist artist Henri de Toulouse-Lautrec originally from this area and it is the descendants of the counts of Lautrec, who were once lords of this city. Even Lautrec has a pleasant Maritime climate with hot summers and famous for its gourmet cuisine. No wonder more and more tourists visit this picturesque village.