/ / Lourdes sanctuary: photo description (Sanctuaires de Lourdes)

Lourdes sanctuary: photo description (Sanctuaires de Lourdes)

Lourdes sanctuary - this sanctuary dedicated to the virgin Mary. It consists of several temples and other buildings that were built around religious relics - the grotto Massabielle. In this cave, in 1858, 14-year-old resident of Lourdes Bernadette Soubirous several times witnessed the phenomena of the mother of God. According to the girl, the virgin appeared to her 18 times, and after that, Bernadette decided to take monastic vows. In 1933, Bernadette Soubirous was canonized, and half a century later composed the sanctuary of our lady of Lourdes Church was built and consecrated in her name.

First over the grotto Massabielle was built two basilicas, first Basilica of the Immaculate Conception in 1871, and then, when Lourdes began to come more and more pilgrims, in 1889, was erected the Basilica of our lady of the rosary, capable of holding fifteen hundred people - twice more than the Basilica of the Immaculate Conception.

However, the second half of the twentieth century and the two churches was not enough. The number of pilgrims has already reached several million a year, contributed to numerous cases of miraculous healings, however, not all these facts were recognized by the Catholic Church. Since the mid-nineteenth century, only counted about seven thousand cases of healing, but the Church has recognized as miraculous only a tenth of them. By the way, the Church initially doubted, and in the visions of Bernadette, but after many checks, including medical, these doubts have disappeared.

Due to the increased flow of pilgrims to the mid-twentieth century were built underground Basilica of St. Pius X, its capacity amounted to 25 thousand people, and now this temple is used for worship with the participation of crowds of thousands. Mass events are also held on the Esplanade of the processions, located between the basilicas of ground and underground temple is located directly under the Esplanade.

The sanctuary is leading the bridge of St. Michael, which is a kind of entrance to it. Near the grotto is located the pump room and 17 baths for men and women, where pilgrims perform ritual ablutions. On the waterfront next to the grotto were installed candle holders for candles, lights visitors to the sanctuary.