/ / The small Palace: photos, description (Le Petit Palais)

The small Palace: photos, description (Le Petit Palais)

The small Palace was built in 1317. It is in the Northern part of the square, opposite the Papal residence, and named so because of their modest size and value, compared with the Palace of the popes.

The story of his appearance vague: according to one version it was built for the nephew of Pope John XXII, Arnaud de via, for the other - it was built by cardinal Berenzher F. Senior. After his death, the Palace and the surrounding area was bought by cardinal Arnaud de via. In 1335 De via died and the Palace did not belong to anybody until the arrival of Pope Benedict XII, which again bought him and turned him into the official residence of the Archbishop of Avignon.

The building was severely damaged in the period from 1396 to 1411., as it was considered fortified citadel of Avignon popes. After the end of hostilities, the Palace gradually fell into disrepair. In the second half of the XV century Bishop Alan de Cotui and his successor, Giuliano della Rovere (who would later become Pope Julius II decided to restore the building and 1503, gave him an almost pristine form. Della Rovere arrived in Avignon in 1474, he was appointed by his uncle, Pope Sixtus IV, Bishop of Avignon. He completed the South and West facades in Italian Renaissance style in 1487 built the tower (later, in 1767 it was destroyed).

During the French revolution, the Palace became the property of the state, in the XIX century it was a Catholic school and later a vocational school. Only in the end of XX century the Palace was opened Museum.

Since 1958, it houses the Museum of the middle Ages. In 1976 there was open art gallery of works by masters of the Renaissance. In 19 halls of the Museum, in particular the work of Sandro Botticelli, Taddeo Gaddy, Taddeo di Bartolo, Lorenzo Monaco, including here is the famous "Madonna" by Botticelli.