/ / Minerve: photos, description (Minerve)

Minerve: photos, description (Minerve)

The "second birth" of the commune of Minerva happened at the end of the last century. After the Second world war and without that humble and modest village almost deserted, if not for the development of tourism. Today it is home to only about a hundred local residents and come to see the sights irreconcilable battles of Catholics with heretics hundreds of thousands of people annually. In addition to the hospitality industry, local residents also are engaged in winemaking.

The town of Minerva is located in the Herault Department of the Languedoc - Roussillon and is part of the Association "Most beautiful villages of the country." Near rivers SES and Brian and the village itself is situated near Carcassonne. A small distance separates the Minerva and from both béziers and Narbonne.

The area in which the village was inhabited during the time of the Celts, and the Romans first began to cultivate in these lands grapes. In the Middle ages life in the Minerva was very turbulent and was often accompanied by bloody events. The first in this series can be called a five-week siege of the village by the crusaders in the summer of 1210. The events that unfolded in Minerva, became the beginning of the first crusade against the Albigenses.

In 1210 the village sheltered the Cathars, who were persecuted by the army of Simon de Montfort, Viscount of béziers and Carcassonne. After a long siege of Minerve was surrendered to the Cathars, many of them refused to accept the Catholic faith, were executed by burning at the stake. In memory of those events and 140 heretics burned in Minerva was a monument "Mourning dove" - through silhouette of a dove was carved in the stone slab master named Jean-Luc Severac.

In subsequent centuries the inhabitants of the village of Minerva, unwittingly, caught in the middle of the events of a century and the wars of religion, was exposed to the raids of robbers. Fortifications of the first Minerva was destroyed, and then abandoned as unnecessary. Reconstruction of the village was held only at the beginning of the last century.

Currently in the vicinity of the village you can see mysterious stone structures - dolmens, and in the Minerve to visit many wine cellars and shops. The local Church bears the name of St. étienne was built in the XII century.