/ / Napoleon's tomb: photos, description (Tombeau de Napoleon)

Napoleon's tomb: photos, description (Tombeau de Napoleon)

The tomb of Napoleon Bonaparte is under the gilded dome of the Cathedral of St. Louis des Invalides.

As you know, Napoleon died at St. Helena may 5, 1821. In 1840 king Louis-Philippe received the consent of great Britain for the return of the ashes of exile in France. On 14 December the same year, the frigate "La Belle Bullets" delivered the coffin to France. The next day the body of the Emperor with a huge crowd of people was solemnly moved to the Invalides, the national necropolis of the military leaders.

The coffin of Napoleon temporarily, until the completion of the permanent tomb, installed in the chapel of St. Jerome. The creation of a permanent tomb was delayed for 20 years - the author of the project, the architect Louis Visconti, did not live to see its completion. But the construction turned out to be extremely majestic.

A huge sarcophagus dimensions 4 by 2 by 4.5 meters and weighing 35 tons is carved of durable, like diamond, Karelian porphyry - dvuhlitrovuyu a lump of this mineral Tsar Nicholas I gave to the French government specifically for the monument. They say, he joked that in Russia for Napoleon stone is always there.

Inside the sarcophagus are five alternately inserted into each other coffins, holding the body of the Emperor: tin, mahogany, two zinc and ebony. Set the tomb on the pedestal of greenish granite. There are twelve winged Victories carved by Jean Jacques Pradier from specially selected blocks of Carrara marble. On the stone floor there are names of towns near where Napoleon won victories, including Moscow.

2 APR 1861, Napoleon's body was forever trapped in the sarcophagus in the uniform of commander of the guards, at the feet of the famous cocked hat. The entrance to the tomb guarded by two colossal bronze guard, holding the Imperial crown, scepter and Orb.

The Invalides is also nameless tombstone, under which Emperor was on the island of St. Helena. The stone can be seen from the gallery which leads to Honorable court, with four sides surrounded by the buildings of the Invalides.