/ / Monestier: photo description (Monesties)

Monestier: photo description (Monesties)

Monestier is a beautiful old village in the South of France, region MIDI - Pyrenees. It is included in the Association "Most beautiful villages of France". It is home to more than a thousand people. The nearest major town is Toulouse, located 75 kilometers South-West. The area is characterized by a pleasant Maritime climate with hot summers.

The first mention of the settlement dates back to the X century, probably was founded here a small monastery, not extant. After the Albigensian crusade of 1229 around the village appeared first fortifications, and it became a Bastide, a typical administrative unit of medieval France. The town was also of great importance, as stood on the way to an important Catholic Shrine to the tomb of St. James in Santiago de Compostela, and have stayed here many pilgrims.

A real economic recovery, the village of Monestier experienced in the eighteenth century, when it became an important trading centre of the region. However, a hundred years later, all her influence had gone. In the XX century here, a flood of tourists, attracted by the authentic medieval character of the settlement.

The main temple of the city is the Cathedral of St. Peter, built in 1550 and which is a masterpiece of Gothic yuzhnorusskoe. The temple was erected on the foundations of the previous Romanesque Church which was destroyed during the religious wars with the Huguenots. The Cathedral has numerous small lateral chapels. It also attached the bell tower, reaching 20 meters in height. Interesting, the bell - he was cast over 400 years ago in 1599.

Another religious building was constructed even earlier - in the thirteenth century. This chapel of St. Jacob, formerly part of the hospital where the pilgrims to the tomb of St. James. In this Church there is a stone sculpture group, representing the situation in the coffin. It was made in XV century.

City Museum and the tourism office is housed in one old building, formerly owned by a local lady. Among the exhibits noteworthy paintings by Spanish and French artists.