/ / Bridge Dual Denier: photos, description (Pont au Double)

Bridge Dual Denier: photos, description (Pont au Double)

In Russian the bridge connecting the square rené Viviani from Notre Dame de Paris, commonly called the bridge of Double Payment or Double Denier. In any case, the essence is the same: for passage on the ferry were charged twice more than usual. Why?

In 1634, when this place was built the first bridge, almost everyone here looked not like now. The entire current promenade Maurice brown on the left Bank of the île de La Cité was occupied by the Paris hospital Hotel-Dieu ("God's house"). Free hospital for poor people lived only on the donations - although and kings, and the brotherhood of the artisans were sent back the meat, the bread, the wood, Hotel-Dieu is always just not enough. Especially not enough beds, patients were lying on them for at least two. Then he began to run out of space and had to build new buildings on the other Bank of the Seine, where now the quay Montebello. To the river does not divide the hospital, and built a bridge.

Thought it rather than a ferry, and as part of the hospital - it was chamber. The downstairs nuns Augustine of the Hotel-Dieu, "a little washerwoman" from morning to evening in the hay washed linens. A third of the width of the bridge is left for pedestrians and vehicles, and local residents began to use it. Then the hospital and introduced a double cost for the transition - to earn. Parisians were outraged (they did not like before such a neighborhood hospital sewage poured directly into the Seine), it came to fights and even murders collectors Board.

In 1709, the bridge collapsed because of bad weather. After 8 years, it was rebuilt along with the buildings. The hospital also had difficult: it is burned in 1737 and 1772, respectively, and from the second, very strong, fire has not been able to recover to the end. During the global reconstruction of Paris, the Ile de La Cité included in the plans of Baron Haussmann in a single paragraph. All the old buildings, the Hotel-Dieu was demolished in 1877 and built a new hospital complex with an area of three hectares - almost the same, only now closer to the right Bank of the Sieve. In this complex and is now city hospital Hotel-Dieu, specializing in the treatment of diabetes.

The bridge was rebuilt several times; its final form it has acquired in 1882, and becoming a cast-iron arch. Now this is a short (45 meters long) the pedestrian bridge is unique to the Parisian bridges warm color of copper. It is one of the most beautiful spots of Paris - right in front of Notre Dame. The passage is of course free, but the historical name remains.