/ / Bridge meeting room: photos, description (Pont du Carrousel)

Bridge meeting room: photos, description (Pont du Carrousel)

"Bridge meeting room" is one of the poems of Rilke. It doesn't say on the bridge, and about a blind man standing on it, but without a title do not understand the tragic story. Because the blind stands on the bridge leading to the Louvre, that is in the heart of Paris, in the heart of the beauty that he sees.

Rilke wrote about the old not reworked the bridge of a meeting room, but it doesn't matter - the place was virtually the same. The crossing opposite the arch of a meeting room built by Royal decree of Louis Philippe I 1831. The construction was entrusted to the engineer Antoine-Remy Polanco, the person prone to innovation and judicious risk. At that time most of the Paris bridges were drooping, but he put the arch, used a relatively new material - cast iron in combination with wood. The support design was decorated with large iron rings that Parisians immediately began ironically called napkin rings. At each corner of the bridge on high pedestals were a stone allegorical sculptures in the classical style of the Louis petito - female figure, representing Industry, Abundance, the Seine and Paris.

In 1883, the bridge was closed for six months to upgrade the wooden elements. Experts recommend to replace them with iron, but only did it in 1906, using reinforced concrete. Despite the restoration, the bridge is too narrow and too low, is obsolete in the twentieth century. It was decided to build a new, slightly moving it.

Engineers Henry Lange and Jacques Moran, developing the project, sought to preserve the silhouette of the old bridge, already familiar to citizens. In addition, they abandoned the use of metal from the vicinity of old buildings - the Louvre, the Pont Neuf and the Pont Royal. Thus, the three-arch bridge of a meeting room, which leads directly to the gates of the Louvre, doesn't look modern. Though concrete, it is faced with stone, and the entrance to it still stand on their pedestals carefully preserved Industry, Abundance, the Paris and the Seine.