/ / The bridge Notre-Dame: photo description (the Pont Notre-Dame)

The bridge Notre-Dame: photo description (the Pont Notre-Dame)

The story of the bridge of Notre-Dame, connecting the Ile de La Cité and the promenade Geur, is an enumeration of constant misery with which people fought methodically and cope.

Crossing at this place was part of the main street of Lutetia before the Romans conquered Gaul. When, in 52 BC the Roman troops came to the hotel Lutetia, the townspeople burned all crossings leading to the île de La Cité. The Romans built a new bridge of stone. In 885-886 years after the siege of the city by the Normans, the bridge was destroyed, and instead built a small bridge - at first he didn't even get to the Sieve, and used only by fishermen. For a long time, but in 1406 the flood destroyed it. However, crossing at this place was not enough, and in 1413 Charles VI ordered to build here a solid wooden bridge with houses on it. This bridge is called Notre Dame. There were sixty houses, is considered the most beautiful in all of France.

86 years collapsed and he. The Foundation for the construction of a new bridge laid in the same year, and yet could get on a ferry. The new bridge - an arched, stone - appeared in 1507. Again it put sixty houses with gabled roofs are the same. Among them were many shops, and the bridge quickly became one of the commercial centers of the city. Perhaps it is here for the first time in the history of the houses appeared, on the one hand an even, the other odd.

Between 1746 and 1788 year all the houses on the bridge were demolished. This process is depicted in the famous French landscape painter of the eighteenth century Hubert Robert, ruins write. In the painting "the Demolition of houses on the bridge Notre-Dame" of the buildings have been demolished, part of a half - collapsed. The viewer is on the banks of the Seine: waterfront no, visible walkways for boats, the boats and the people staring at transforming the bridge.

In 1853, on the old Foundation built a new bridge with five arches. For nineteen years, at least thirty-five times the barge crashed into a pillar and bridge in the people became known as Bloody. Had to remove three Central arches and replace them with the new design, already metal. The bridge Notre-Dame in its present form was opened in 1919.