/ / Bridge Royal: photos, description (Pont Royal)

Bridge Royal: photos, description (Pont Royal)

The Royal bridge is one of the three oldest of the Paris bridges (the first two - the Pont-Neuf and Marie). It leads to the pavilion of Flora and the garden of the Tuileries on the right Bank from the street the Tank is on the left. The name of the street recalls that once, in the XVI century, from this place departed the ferry, carrying stone blocks for the construction of the Tuileries Palace (bac in French and means "ferry").

The ferry went eighty and two years, but in 1632 came the bridge - financier Barbier ordered it and a local entrepreneur Pidu built. A wooden bridge was red, so it was called Pont-Rouge, although officially it was called Pont Sainte-Anne (in deference to Anne of Austria).

With the bridge all the time something was happening. First, it was repaired, then completely rebuilt, then it burned, drowned, reconstructed it again, propped up, and finally, the eight arches of the fifteen claimed by the flood in 1684. Madame de sevigny, in his famous letters emphasized the last case, after which it was decided to build a stone bridge.

The construction was fully financed by Louis XIV, he gave a very logical bridge connecting the left Bank with the Palace of the Tuileries, the new name Royal, that is Royal. The bridge has quietly existed for a century, the townspeople loved holding street parties.

During the French revolution, the name quickly changed the bridge became a National, which is also quite logical. It was here on 13 vendémiaire (5 October 1795 Napoleon put guns to defend against armed loyalist national Convention and Committee of public safety, located in the Palace of the Tuileries. It was a watershed moment in the life of Napoleon. The commander of the troops of the Convention Barras invited the young General to lead the operation to suppress the rebellion, and after some hesitation he agreed. Napoleon ordered to deliver forty guns and took them to the outskirts of the Convention. Against artillery fire, the rebels have not been able to do though and tried to break from the left Bank at the National bridge and grab the gun, standing right next to him. So security was provided by the Convention and the career of Napoleon, decided the future of Europe.

Later Napoleon gave bridge another name - the Tuileries, and in 1814 Louis XVIII gave him back his Royal name. Now this five-arched bridge paved a simple and austere appearance is among the historical monuments of Paris.