/ / Bridge Consent: photos, description (the Pont de la Concorde)

Bridge Consent: photos, description (the Pont de la Concorde)

Bridge Harmony, connecting the area with the consent of the Palais Bourbon on the quay d'orsay, located in a very beautiful place, but special attention is not attracted. Wide, with modest lamps and a balustrade it looks quite simple, without pomp. Meanwhile, splendor in the old days he had, but not the main thing: the bridge of reconciliation is built from the stones of the Bastille.

The Bastille, a prison for noble prisoners, fell on 14 July 1789. The next day, it was decided to demolish it. Work continued until 1791, after they left the mountain of stone. The stones allowed for the construction of the bridge leading to the place Louis XV.

The crossing was planned in 1755, when the construction of the square, and before that there went a ferry. Architect Jean-Rodolphe the Platform has already started to build a bridge (in this case it was called by the name of Louis XVI), but by the time of the demolition of the Bastille, the material for construction has not been purchased. So the destruction of the fortress gave the opportunity to finish the bridge as one of the first buildings of the new Republic. Of course, he was immediately renamed to the bridge of the Revolution, as the square on which was established the guillotine.

In 1810 Napoleon ordered to place on both sides of the bridge the statues of eight French generals who died during the military campaigns of the First Empire. During the restoration of the Bourbons bridge returned to original name and decided to remove the statues of generals. Instead put twelve enormous white marble sculpture depicting four great Ministers (Suger, Sully, Richelieu, Colbert), four Royal generals (Du Guesclin, Bayard, Conde, and Turina) and four marine officers (Dugua-Truina, Duchesne, Suffren and Turville). The bridge is looking very impressive, but the collection of statues was too heavy, he created the threat of collapse. When Louis-Philippe I of the sculptures were transported to Versailles, and at the same time gave the bridge another name - again by the name of the area, which at that time was the Concorde.

Nothing else the bridge has not happened - it expanded between 1930 and 1932, years, retaining the original form and neoclassical architecture. Now it is the busiest bridge in Paris. It is unlikely that the drivers crossing the Seine on it, remember that going on the stones of the Bastille.