/ / Monastery SV. Stefan: photo description (Abbaye aux Hommes)

Monastery SV. Stefan: photo description (Abbaye aux Hommes)

The history of the monastery of St. Stephen certainly accompanied by the mention of another historic structure. The fact that the men's Abbey and St. Stephen's women's Abbey of the Holy Trinity was built at the same time, for the same reason, and the initiators of their construction become the same people - the future king of England, Duke of Normandy, William the Conqueror and his wife Matilda of Flanders.

William the Conqueror wanted to marry a daughter of count of Flanders Baldwin the Fifth, however, the Catholic Church did not share this desire, as William and Matilda was with each other in close kinship. Despite this the marriage was contracted without the Church's blessing, and the couple, to atone for his sin, founded about the middle of the XI century two monasteries in the city of Caen, which was the residence of the Duke. After his death William and Matilda were buried in these abbeys, respectively, in the churches of St. Stephen and Holy Trinity.

Abbey of St. Stephen was built using local stone. Almost immediately in its structure, a Church, and after a couple of centuries the monastery became a part of" several buildings. In the era of religious wars, the monastery was ravaged by the Huguenots who came to the grave of William the Conqueror - since buried in the tomb only one tibia of the monarch, the rest of the remains were lost.

In the XVI-XVIII centuries, the ruined Abbey was in control of the monks of marystow and gradually recovered. During the great French revolution the monastery was closed and the Church became a place of departure rituals of the new cult of the Supreme being. It lasted only a few years, in 1802, St. Stephen's Church was consecrated anew, and a few years later restored the monastery took under its vaults the nuns of the order of visitants, however, with them side by side secular institution - the Lyceum. During the Second world war, the monastery housed a hospital and a shelter for refugees. Since the second half of the XX century and currently it houses the municipal authorities.
The status of a historical monument, the Abbey of St. Stephen was received in 1840.