/ / The Museum of wines of Touraine and the Museum Guild of the Abbey of Saint-Julien: photo, description Abbaye de Saint-Julien)

The Museum of wines of Touraine and the Museum Guild of the Abbey of Saint-Julien: photo, description Abbaye de Saint-Julien)

In the premises of the former Abbey of Saint-Julien, located on Rue national, today there are two museums, one dedicated to wine-making, and other crafts Touraine.

The Museum of wines of Touraine is located in the monastery cellars, it presents the history of wine up to the most modern technology, one can also see different containers for wine, made of different materials, the costumes of the wine brotherhoods of this historical province and, of course, to try presented in the tasting room drinks.

Located in a nearby building, the Museum Guild presents the products of tours artisans medieval and modern, and the work of the latter can be purchased at the gift shop, and the works of their predecessors, only to see in the exhibition, including furniture, shoes, products, blacksmiths and stone carvers.

Both museums occupy buildings constructed in the XII century. The first buildings appeared in this place in the beginning of VI century - the first Church, built by order of king Clovis I, and then in the second half of the century was built and the Abbey itself. It was dedicated to St. Julian Brodskom, during the life of a former soldier and a Roman martyred for the faith. The heyday of the Abbey came in the X-XI century - during this period, it enjoyed the greatest influence, which gradually disappeared by the fifteenth century.

The Church of Saint-Julien repeatedly destroyed, and the damage she inflicted not only military action, but a natural phenomenon of nature - so, in 1224 the hurricane destroyed its nave. After the incident, the Church was restored already to 1240, and in this form it has survived to the present time. However, after the French revolution it was purchased by a private individual and was used as a stable for the horses of guests the nearest hotel, and in the early nineteenth century - and as a station for the stagecoach. Among the features of the Church is to mention a 25-metre bell tower and stained-glass Windows for the temple was created in the XX century artist Max Ingran.