/ / Museum the Good: photo description (Musee Dobree)

Museum the Good: photo description (Musee Dobree)

One of the oldest museums of Nantes is named after philanthropist Thomas Good, who lived in the XIX century. It contains many works of art and antiquities, including such a national relic, as the casket for the heart of Queen Anne of Brittany, made of gold.

Most of the exhibits of this Museum were collected by Thomas Good, one of the buildings of the Museum, the Palace of the Good, were built to them, and second, the residence of the bishops, they were bought out. His collection, as well as both buildings are Good for a year before his death bequeathed to the Department of the Loire-Atlantique with a small condition: that each of the museums (Museum of the Good and archaeology at the residence of the bishops) had different inputs. This condition was met and adhered to and currently.

Thomas Good was born in 1810 in a family of merchants and fleets (so called people, who by proxy had to hire a ship and crew and put them in a distant way). Apparently, Good not very fond of this occupation, as it is already in 28 years, chose to retire and devote his life to collecting art. Even fourteen years later he began to build his Palace and acquired the nearby Episcopal residence Manoir de La Touche, built in the first half of the XV century. The residence has gone down in history as the place of trial of Bluebeard (Duke Gilles de Recem), but Good treated it without much reverence at one of the towers he was told to knock out your motto that tells the world about his thirst for knowledge. In addition, the Good ordered the demolition of one of the chapels, which interfere with the construction of his Palace.

In 1894 Thomas Good made a will by which his entire 10-strong collection of antiquities and works of art were transferred to the Department, the year he died, and a year later opened a Museum named after him.

The Museum is Good, you can see rare old books and manuscripts, paintings, furniture, sculptures, a collection of coins and medals, and engravings by German and Dutch masters.