/ / Museum of the Dominican Jacobins: photos, description (Musee des Jacobins in Auch d)

Museum of the Dominican Jacobins: photos, description (Musee des Jacobins in Auch d)

Museum of the Dominican man-of the Jacobins is one of the museums in the French city of Osh, located in the South of France, region MIDI - Pyrenees. It is located on the territory of the former historical region of Gascony, and moreover, in the past was its capital. For many centuries before the great French revolution, the Osh had a huge impact - it housed the Archbishop's throne.

It should be noted that the city has a rather uneven terrain - the height of its centre is 166 meters, and the settlement stands on the river Gers, which is down an old staircase of the nineteenth century, with 370 degrees. Museum of the Dominican Jacobins is on the lower level of the city, between the river and the Cathedral standing on the hill.

The Museum is housed in a XV century building, which at that time was the monastery building with a large Benedictine Abbey. After the French revolution began the secularization of Church lands, and this architectural complex was turned into a Museum. The exact date of its opening on 16 December 1793. This is one of the oldest museums in all of France.

The pride of this Museum lies in its collection of art of the ancient peoples of North and South America, here are the artifacts made before the arrival to America of Christopher Columbus. It contains only about 8,000 of these exhibits. The Museum of the city of Osh works closely with others in the same Museum - Museum on the Quai Branly, located in Paris.

However, in addition, here are the masterpieces of antiquity, and the medieval wooden sculptures and the national Gascon costumes, and a separate section devoted to the decorative art of the XVII-XX centuries. Among the most notable exhibits is necessary to note the statue of Emperor Trajan in the first century and the marble bust of king Louis XVI. But absolutely unique instance is called the "Mass of St Gregory". It is the oldest piece of Mexican religious art, executed in 1539 using feathers.

The ticket price includes a visit to the Park, decorated in a simple and accurate "French" style, so-called, "regular Park". Here are rare species of trees and other plants brought by conquistadors from America to Europe.