/ / The castle Museum in Castres: photo description (Castre Museum)

The castle Museum in Castres: photo description (Castre Museum)

The castle Museum in Castres at the top of Suquet hill is clearly visible from the waterfront of Cannes: a powerful tower of the castle dominates the surrounding area. This is the legacy of the medieval town, which remained not so much.

Dvadtsatikilometrovaya the tower was erected by the monks of the Abbey Leninskogo. In 1030 count of Provence, sold part of his land to the Abbey for the construction of facilities that would help to protect the surrounding area from attacks by pirates and Saracens. Its construction began in 1080. In 1327 between the fortified Abbey on the island of Saint-Honor and the great tower of Le Suquet, as it was called, was even established alarm observers had been alerted to the danger approaching from the sea. Around the tower is gradually built feudal castle, houses, hospital. In the XVIII century the castle was partially destroyed. In the revolution ruins was adapted for housing, then under pottery.

Story located here is the Museum dates back to 1877, when traveler and art connoisseur Baron Lycklama made the city a generous gift: bought in the middle East and Central Asia, rarities, art of Oceania and pre-Columbian America, a rich collection of Antiques. This gift formed the basis of the Museum collection. In the future, the collection was enriched by donations from private collections: Baron Alphonse de Rothschild gave a significant number of paintings.

Almost half a century, the collection was housed in the town hall, but in 1919 the municipality specifically for the Museum bought the castle at Castres. His collection for the small seaside town looks unconventional: close to art East, Oceania, peoples of Alaska, ceramics of pre-Columbian America presents musical instruments of the peoples of the world, landscape painting "small masters" of Provence of the XIX century Antiques.

Here you can see Tibetan and Indian masks, everyday objects of the Inuit (aboriginal Canada), the Colombian stone sculptures, weapons of the Polynesians. In the lower part of the tower exhibits the Sumerian cuneiform tablets, Sidon funerary gold mask. Painting is represented by "small masters" of Cannes nineteenth century: paintings by Joseph Contini, Ernest Buttura. A curious portrait of the progenitor of the Museum, Baron Lycklama, brushes Emile Lecomte-Vernet: the Baron is depicted in the lush robes of the Eastern nobles.

Premises adjoining to the tower of the former chapel of St Anne (monument of the XII century) are given under an impressive collection of musical instruments of Africa, Southeast Asia, South America, Oceania. Exhibited here drums, bamboo flutes, singing shells from the Marquesas Islands.

The tourists should climb on the tower itself. It is not easy: upstairs are 119 steep steps. But the observation deck offers a stunning panorama - the sea, the Lerins Islands, Cannes, Southern Alps.