/ / Museum of fine arts of Caen: photo description (Musee des beaux-arts de Caen)

Museum of fine arts of Caen: photo description (Musee des beaux-arts de Caen)

Museum of fine arts in the city of Caen was founded in the early nineteenth century and their appearance was largely indebted to the great French revolution and the subsequent withdrawal from religious institutions and wealthy citizens of artistic values. Of the nationalized works of art were created a collection of paintings, in which the earliest of the paintings have been dated to the XIV century.

The Museum's collection was replenished, and today it is possible to see the works of prominent representatives of the European schools of painting - the Italian (Tintoretto, Veronese, Perugino, French, Dutch XVII century ("the small Dutch"). The most valuable exhibits of the Museum considered the painting "betrothal of the virgin Mary" and "St. Jerome in the wilderness" of the Italian Renaissance master Pietro Perugino, paintings by the Flemish artists Peter Paul Rubens and Anthony van Dyck.

The Museum exposition is presented in two parts: in one hall there are paintings of artists of the XIX-XX centuries, in particular, the Impressionists, the second - the work of earlier authors. In addition to painting, in the Museum there are also printmaking and ceramics. The total area of the Museum halls is about six thousand square meters.

The Museum is located in the Eastern part of the Cannes castle. It is located in a building that was built in the 70-ies of the last century, since the previous structure was destroyed during the Second world war. The castle also houses a Museum dedicated to the history of Normandy. The castle itself was built in the year 1060 by Duke William the Conqueror, which is placed in the castle his residence, and the Kang was declared the capital of Normandy. During a visit to the Cannes castle you can also visit the historic Church of St. George and climb the walls.