/ / Museum of fine arts in Angers: photo description (Musee des beaux-arts d'angers)

Museum of fine arts in Angers: photo description (Musee des beaux-arts d'angers)

Museum of fine arts in Angers located a few hundred meters from the two main attractions - the Chateau d'angers and the Cathedral of Saint-Maurice. And right next to the gallery name of the sculptor and medalist David d'angers - these buildings form the Museum quarter, which also includes the library and facilities of the University.

Museum of fine arts located within the walls of the mansion of the late fifteenth century, which was built by the mayor of Anjou and Treasurer of Brittany, Olivier Barrot in the French Renaissance style. The walls of this mansion has seen many famous personalities who left their mark in the history of France - for example, king Louis XII, Cesare Borgia and Maria de ' Medici, whose property he was. In 1673, the building was acquired by the Catholic Church and after a significant restructuring has placed it in Seminary.

During the French revolution the mansion was opened the Central school, but it existed only for two years, from 1801 to 1803. Created at school of the Museum continued its work even after two years with the opening of the hall of science expanded its exposure. In 1839, in one of the premises of the former Seminary was opened Galerie David d'angers, who in 1984 moved to the renovated All Saints Church.

In the middle of the XIX century, the Museum became the owner of the treasure - received as a bequest the collection of Lancelot Theodore de criss Stavrev, which included items of Egyptian, Roman and Greek origin, porcelain wares and paintings of the famous painter, Jean Auguste Dominique Ingres. Another large-scale replenishment of Museum collections occurred in 2003, when a bequest of Daniel Duclos, the Museum moved to the castle Viljevac, which became a branch of the Museum, and nearly a thousand works of art.

At the end of last and beginning of this century in the Museum was reconstructed, and today it is one of the largest museums of France, located in the province. Its area is about seven acres.