/ / Museum of fine arts Quimper: photo description (Musee des beaux-arts de Quimper)

Museum of fine arts Quimper: photo description (Musee des beaux-arts de Quimper)

Fine arts Museum of Quimper is located opposite the Cathedral St. Corentin. The appearance of both buildings put their talent and skills architect Joseph bigot. In the ensemble of the Cathedral he completed the spire, and for the Museum developed the project of the building.

The construction of the building for the Museum began in 1869, although the creation of the Museum's collection began five years earlier. The basis of the Museum collection is a private collection of paintings, which count Jean-Marie de Silje bequeathed Kemper. In August, 1872, when the building was completed, the collection moved into the new building. By the way, the construction of a new building for the Museum was a condition set by de Silje and needed to transfer the collection to the city. In the 70-ies of XX century the building was reconstructed during the works was enlarged area of the Museum and, accordingly, the area of its halls. In the 90s of the last century the Museum, the facade was renewed.

Currently the Museum collection comprises works created in the period from the XIV to the XX century. Here are the various artists of the European schools - Italian, French, Flemish. Particularly works of art of Brittany, created in the XIX and XX centuries, mainly local landscapes and scenes from the life of Breton peasants.

The Museum's collection are not numerous, it is only about a hundred paintings, but the paintings can be seen very famous names - Peter Brueghel the younger, Jean-honoré Fragonard, Hubert Robert and other authors. From Breton masters, the best known are Max Jacob, a native of Quimper, who was not only an artist but also a poet, and Jean-Julien Lemordant born in another Breton town of Saint-Malo. Max Jacob died in a concentration camp during the Second world war, and Glamorgan lost vision, participating in the battles of the First world.