/ / Museum of fine arts Nancy: photo description (Musee des beaux-arts de Nancy)

Museum of fine arts Nancy: photo description (Musee des beaux-arts de Nancy)

Museum of fine arts in Nancy was established in 1793 and was one of the first museums established in France after the great revolution. This fact makes it one of the oldest museums in the country.

The Museum is located on place Stanislas and is one of four buildings that were built during the reign of the Duke Stanislas Leszczynski. Earlier in this building was the College, which has educated future doctors. Behind the College building until the beginning of XX century was the theatre of Comedy. It was built also with Leschinsky (in 1758), but in 1906 was burned. Instead, the 20-ies of the last century, built the theater, which has the status of national Opera of Lorraine. Reconstruction of the Museum building was held in the end of XX century, after the exhibition area of the institution increased.

The Museum contains paintings and sculptures of the European masters who worked from the XIV to the XX century. Among the most famous artists represented in the Museum of fine arts of Nancy is called Rubens, Perugino, Tintoretto. The Museum has paintings by masters of the XIX-XX centuries by eugène Delacroix, Edouard Manet, Henri Matisse, Pablo Picasso and Amedeo Modigliani and others.

The Museum also presents paintings by local artists. One of them is Emil Frian is the representative of realism, a native DESA located near Nancy. The Museum holds several of his works, created in the second half of XIX - early XX century. Hall Nancy hall is decorated with two panels, also made by Freenom.

Among the authors of the section sculptures the most famous are Auguste Rodin and Aristide Maillol. The section of engravings of the works of Jacques Callot.

The basement part of the Museum conceals a real surprise for lovers of antiquity and decorative arts. Here you can see fragments of the medieval city fortifications of Nancy, and products of art glass in the art Nouveau style, created by the brothers Daum, a family business which opened in 1875.