/ / Museum of fine arts of Rennes: photo description (Musee des beaux-arts de Rennes)

Museum of fine arts of Rennes: photo description (Musee des beaux-arts de Rennes)

Museum of fine arts of Rennes is located in the former University building, on Quai Emile Zola (South of the river Vilaine). The Museum was founded in the Wake of the reforms of the French revolution in 1794, and the building in which he now located, was built in the mid-nineteenth century by the architect Vincent Bulle. However, the Museum moved into it only in the beginning of XX century.

The first exhibits of the Museum are works of art seized by the revolutionaries from wealthy citizens, the nobility and religious institutions. The Museum was given a collection of the President of the Breton Parliament of Christophe-Paul de Robien. Then the Museum's collection was replenished by getting donations and items from private collections, this is especially true in the nineteenth and twentieth centuries, respectively, have occurred and an extension of the Museum space.

To date, the Museum has accumulated several hundred paintings, sculptures, ancient artifacts - collection of works of art covers the period from the XIV to the XX century, and the collection of antiquities includes objects from ancient Roman, ancient Greek, ancient Egyptian and Etruscan origin. The Museum presents art not only in Europe but also other continents - Africa and America.

The subject of special pride of the Museum is the collection of drawings by the most famous artists of Europe - Leonardo da Vinci, Michelangelo, Sandro Botticelli, Albrecht dürer, Peter Paul Rubens, Rembrandt, Pablo Picasso and others. For example, by the hand of Rubens had made a painting "Hunting for tigers and lions", and belongs to Rembrandt painting "the Young woman the old woman removes a thorn".