/ / The musée Calvet photo, description Musee Calvet)

The musée Calvet photo, description Musee Calvet)

In place of the current Museum Calvet was formerly a cardinal's residence - Livre de Cambrai, named in honor of the once lived here the cardinal Pierre D Riley, Bishop de Cambrai. In 1719 the building was sold to françois-rené de Villeneuve, Marquis d Arzela and señor de Martignano.

In 1734, his son Jacques-Ignace de Villeneuve decided to expand their holdings and build a new Palace. Construction was started under the leadership of Thomas Len, but then it was replaced by the architects Jean-Baptiste Frank Francesco Frank. Construction work was completed only 1749. In 1802, the mansion was bought by the negociant Deletr, who in turn handed over a lease on the building to the authorities of Avignon to place here the collection of Esprit Calvet. March 3, 1833, the building was bought by the city of Avignon into a Museum. October 1, 1963, city house, Villeneuve-Martignano included in the list of historical monuments of France.

Here is one of the largest collections of paintings in France. To assemble a collection started by a local physician (numismatist, bibliophile and archaeologist) Esprit Calvet, and later, in 1810, he bequeathed his collections and library to the Museum painting. Exhibits of the Museum are works of art, sculptures, porcelain, but very interesting Department of painting, covering the period from XVI to XX century, from Vasari and Luca Giordano to David, Corot, Manet, Soutine, and Bonnard.

Here at townhouse Villeneuve-Martignano, to which was attached a modern building houses the main collection. Library collected by Calvet and a large collection of nearly 12 000 coins and medals were transferred to another place of the city.