/ / Carnavalet Museum: photos, description (Musee Carnavalet)

Carnavalet Museum: photos, description (Musee Carnavalet)

The Carnavalet Museum is obliged to the man who destroyed medieval Paris, the reformer of the city, Baron Haussmann. Prefect, demolishing disturbing the main piping of the old house, knew that with them gone the whole period. In 1886, on his initiative, the city bought in the Marais district the old mansion the Carnival to post here a historical library and collection of items disappearing time.

The building is built in 1548-1560, the architect Pierre lescot. In 1578 the building was bought by rich Breton widow françoise de Caravana - her distorted Parisians last name became the name of the house. From 1677 to 1696 year, there lived an intelligent and observant Marquis de Sevigne, in her letters daughter who described in detail the court life of Louis XIV. The street on which the Museum named in her honor.

The musée Carnavalet is now the oldest municipal Museum in the capital. Here are collected the paintings, furniture, clocks, mirrors, prints, fans - anything that can tell us about the evolution of urban life. Many of the exhibits donated to the Museum by well-known private collectors - as brothers Dutyi gave him in 1902, his antique collection, Maurice Girardin in 1953 - a collection of contemporary art. Available in the Museum and gallery of Madame de Sevigne - where you can see the lacquered Chinese table, behind which the Marquis wrote his letters. The building is decorated with bas-reliefs of work of the same Pierre Lescaut. Adjacent to the Museum gardens in which the exhibited sculpture of Goujon.

In 1989, the Museum has expanded to the Carnival joined in the neighbouring mansion of Le Pelletier de Saint-Fargeau. It found a place collection illustrating Parisian life, from the French revolution to the present day. Here is exhibited, for example, a ballroom in the art Deco style, which is decorated in 1925 by Spanish painter Jose Maria Sert. Now in the Carnival more than a hundred halls with exhibits belonging to periods from the Gallo-Roman to modern.

In 2000, the Carnavalet Museum was annexed as the archaeological Museum Notre-Dame Cathedral.