/ / The Museum Le-Sec de Tournelle in the Church Saint-Laurent: photo description (Musee Le Secq des Tournelles)

The Museum Le-Sec de Tournelle in the Church Saint-Laurent: photo description (Musee Le Secq des Tournelles)

In the Middle ages Rouen was famous for its ironwork. Local craftsmen were able to produce not only the simplest of hardware goods, but also to forge the original thing that the current residents of Rouen and guests of the city can be considered a work of art.

In our days the products of the Rouen Kuznetsov are kept in the Museum of Le Sec de Tournelle. There are more than twelve thousand exhibits that were created from III to XIX century - that is, the first blacksmith in the lands of present of Rouen was still the Gallic and Roman masters. This meeting forged products is one of the largest in the world.

The basis of the collection is the product of blacksmith craft, collected by Henri Le Sec de Tournelle, after him was named the city Museum, dedicated to forging. Monsieur de Tournelle is part of a group that studied the historical monuments on the territory of France, which in the mid-nineteenth century was led by the famous writer prosper mérimée. My collection of Le Sec de Tournelle began collecting in 1862.

In the Museum you can see different locks and keys, door handles, wrought iron ornaments for buildings (grilles and stair railings), sign and even toys, kitchen utensils (for example, mills for coffee), tools, hammers over door and wrought iron detail thimbles and buttons.

Since 1920, this Museum is housed in the Church of St. Laurent, which was built in the XV-XVI centuries. It is located on the street of Jacques Villon. During the great French revolution, the Church was nationalized, about a hundred years later it was bought by the municipality of Rouen. In 1911 the Church was opened Museum of art, and then there is the Museum of hardware products. The building of the Church since 1914, is a historical monument.