/ / Sea Museum: photo description (Musee de la Mer)

Sea Museum: photo description (Musee de la Mer)

Museum of the sea of Cannes is located on the island of Sainte Marguerite, in the Old castle, one of the buildings of Fort Royal. If the tourist was on the island of Iron Mask, it is necessary to go here.

Old castle completely on the lock is not like a box under a tiled roof with an attached round tower of industrial appearance. However, this XVII century building, but still built, as on a Foundation, on ancient Roman cisterns.

Pliny the Elder mentions in his "Natural history" Roman city on the island of Lerina (then known as Saint-Marguerite). Drinking water sources were not here, but the Romans, a great hydraulic engineering, were able to build huge tanks to collect rain water - it was an indispensable attribute of any Roman house. On the island there were several such structures. Most of them during a powerful earthquake in the beginning of the V century fell below sea level, the island remained without water, the Romans left it. In the 1970-1980s during the archaeological excavations were found remains of buildings of the era.

Lying at the base of the Old castle four tanks are so powerful that provided a firm Foundation for the four buildings. Their sizes are impressive: in the internal volume of house facilities with the main collection of the Museum. Here exhibited amphorae for wine and olive oil, and ceramics from the sunken Roman ship, parts of vessels.

The artifacts were discovered during underwater archaeological work around Sainte Marguerite. In ancient times, the island lay on a busy sea trade route. By the ninth century, when the Roman Empire sunk into Oblivion, in the Mediterranean turned the Saracen pirates. The monastery of Lerin, on the neighboring island of St Honor, they attacked four times. In 1047, the pirates captured here are many monks and brought them to Sicily. In the Museum's collection includes artifacts discovered in one of the sunken ships of the Saracen.

In the Museum you can see fragments of Roman wall paintings, discovered during archaeological excavations on the island. Exhibited dozens of ship models from ancient to modern. And next - detailed images from space with a view of the Gulf of La Napoule and Cannes Bay. Temporary exhibitions the Museum arranges on the terrace, which offers stunning views of the coast and the Southern Alps.

During a visit to the Museum you can not go past a nondescript two-storey extension with a separate entrance: here twelve years languished famous Man in the iron mask. Here also was serving a sentence for a duel with the commander, a young officer, the Marquis Claude de Geoffroy d Abban. Looking out the window of his cell at the rowing galleys, he decided to replace the rowing machine. On gaining his freedom in 1783, d Abban successfully tested the first steamboat ("Piroska"), equipped with paddle wheels. But the success of the inventor has not made, and died poor and obscure at the Paris House of Invalids from cholera.