/ / Museum of Saint-Remy: photo, description Musee Saint-Remi)

Museum of Saint-Remy: photo, description Musee Saint-Remi)

Reims for several centuries been the city Cathedral which crowned the kings of France. During the ceremonies the rite of anointing oil which was kept in a sacred vessel - steklenica, and the vessel was kept in the Abbey of St Remigius. It was founded in the VIII century and was named the first Archbishop of Reims - Remigia, who was a well known fact that drew to the Christian faith of king Clovis. The monks of the Abbey also took care of the burial place of the remains of St Remigius, who died in the first half of the VI century.

During the great French revolution the monks were expelled from the monastery, and until 1816 the building of the Abbey was used as a military hospital. In the XIX century here is also located the almshouse, and then the city hospital occupied this building up until the Second world war.

A Museum in the former Abbey was opened in 1978, although the idea of its creation appeared in the postwar years. In the second half of the last century the Abbey was also held large-scale reconstruction. Abbey was declared a world heritage site by UNESCO.

Today, the Museum of Saint-rémy holds archaeological finds made on the territory of Reims, exhibits illustrating the history of military Affairs until the Second world war. Another section is devoted to the history of the Abbey is also kept here mentioned steklenica, rather, what was left of it. The sacred vessel was laid in 1793, and it was only a couple of pieces. And it was first used in the rite of anointing in the late V century during the baptism of Clovis. Also it will be interesting to see a collection of arms of the XVI-XIX centuries and tapestries, which depict the Holy Remigi - they were created in the XVI century.