/ / Museum plumbing: photos, description (Musee de la Serrurerie)

Museum plumbing: photos, description (Musee de la Serrurerie)

The Paris Museum of plumbing known as the lock Museum - for millennia it locks in all the countries was the main creations of skilled locksmiths.

The Museum is housed in the mansion of the Liberals of He, the architect of the Invalides, the First architect of the king. The he built it for his family in 1685. By the nineteenth century, the mansion almost in ruins, and he bought the company Bricar engaged in the manufacture of locks. The company has restored the mansion specifically for the Museum.

Posted here is a collection entirely dedicated to the art of manufacturing a variety of locks, keys and door hammers that before the advent of electric bells was a mandatory attribute of any residential building. The collection includes castles Dating from Roman I-II centuries to the present day, the bronze and iron keys medieval door ring. Of particular interest are the castles of the XVI-XIX centuries, often made at the level of true works of art.

In the Museum you can see antique metalwork workshop, the tools used by the masters of metal hundreds of years ago, their works of iron and other metals. The pearl of the collection is bench made of king Louis XVI who loved plumbing and blacksmithing and was industrious and skilled workman. A subject of particular fascination of the king was the locks. In the Palace of the Tuileries on the third floor over his bedroom, the monarch made himself a fitter's shop with forge - here was a furnace, bellows, anvil, workbench, vise. Access here was only a special servant named Duret, who helped the king to clean the premises and clean the tools.

The private Museum is open on weekdays, admission is paid. The company Bricar, the gathering of the collection and made it public, was founded in 1782 under Louis XIV. For more than two centuries, it is the largest firm in France, specializing on the locks.