/ / German gates: photo description (Porte des Allemands)

German gates: photo description (Porte des Allemands)

The German gate in Metz is part of the medieval fortifications of the city, or rather, what they have survived to the present time. From semikilometrovaya fortifications was a small fragment, and the gates are the only game in town. German gate and wall fragment is recognized as a historical monument in 1966.

The first building on this spot was erected in 1230 and was represented by two narrow round towers connected an arched walkway. This design was on the bridge over the river Seille. After two hundred years next to these towers were built for two, more impressive, which was to protect the entrance to the city from possible attacks with artillery reinforcements. The thickness of the walls of the new towers was 3.5 meters, and their height is 28 meters.

The architect of these towers was Henri de Busdorf de Rakhwale, who did not forget to immortalize them in stone in your name along with the family crest (not preserved). In addition Ragonvalia, in the same way reported to contemporaries and posterity, the commandant of the towers and the mayor of Metz in the early sixteenth century Philip d'aix. Around the time of his reign the defensive capabilities of the bridge was again reinforced - there were loopholes and another two buildings. In the XVII century the master of fortification, Vauban built another gate exterior gate of the Germans", but they have not survived. In the nineteenth century was twice carried out the restoration of fortifications in the second half and at the end of the century. During the Second world war, the bridge, which adjoined the gate were destroyed, but after it was restored almost to its previous location.

In the beginning of the XX century, the German gate became the property of the city and a Museum, which housed a collection of archaeological finds, ancient documents, and images Mets, coins, and other artifacts, and even the guillotine, which was the instrument of the revolution in 1793, and stood in the town square.

The name of the gate came from the nearby hospital, founded by the Teutonic knights and destroyed in the middle of the XVI century at the siege of Metz by Charles the Fifth.