/ / The Opera house in Metz: photo description (Opera-theatre de Metz)

The Opera house in Metz: photo description (Opera-theatre de Metz)

The Opera house in Metz is one of the most outstanding theaters of Lorraine, the championship is second only to the theatre in Nancy, which has the status of national Opera. In addition, the Opera of Metz is the oldest not only in France but throughout Europe. And in the time of its opening, the theatre was recognized as also one of the most beautiful in the country.

The initiator of creation of the Opera house was made by the Governor of Metz, Duke de Belle-île. As the construction site he had identified the island of Petit-Solci, which at that time was partly swamp and was used as a place of holding exhibitions of horses. Before starting work, the soil was drained, and the island linked by four bridges to the Central part of the city.

The construction of the Opera house began in 1732. The Duke has taken for its construction twenty years, and the architects kept within the allotted time: even though the war of the Austrian succession 1741-1748 years when the work had to be interrupted, the Opera house was opened in 1752 lush ball. The project architect was Jacques auger, with the participation of Barthelemy Burda, and the capacity of the auditorium was nearly fifteen hundred people (currently about half).

During the great French revolution, the square in front of the theater "decorated" the guillotine and the square was called the "island of equity". In the mid-nineteenth century on the facade of the Opera appeared an allegorical image of tragedy and Comedy, and poetry, music and inspiration. Them were executed by the sculptor Charles Peter.

At Opera Metz in different years were productions of plays by the most famous playwrights - Jean Racine, Pierre Corneille, Moliere, and then it was added to performances of the works of Voltaire, Beaumarchais and Diderot.

The theater building was recognized as a monument of architecture in 1930, and the last change in its appearance occurred in the 80-ies of the last century, when was carried out the restoration of the building.