/ / The monument to the Girondins: photos, description (Monument aux Girondins)

The monument to the Girondins: photos, description (Monument aux Girondins)

The Girondins called several people in the Department of Gironde, which have been delegated to the legislative Assembly of France in 1791. Then became known as a party that during the great French revolution represented the interests of provincial bourgeois merchants and Industrialists. However, in 1793 the Girondins were expelled from the convent and brought to justice. Some of them fled to province, and there raised a revolt against the Convention, which were suppressed, convicted and remaining in Paris were executed.

The idea for the installation of the monument to the Girondins in Bordeaux belongs to Julien Guide, a descendant of one of the first of the Girondins - lawyer Guide. The idea originated in the 60 - ies of the XIX century, but was implemented only at the very end of the century. In 1881, the city administration announced a competition in which took part three of the architect - Alphonse Dubilier, Andre riche and famous sculptor, the author of the statue of Liberty in new York, frédéric Auguste Bartholdi. The contest winner was not, as the authorities decided to combine the ideas of all three participants in the same project.

Work on the construction of the monument lasted from 1894 to 1902 years, however, the monument remained unfinished - it was originally planned to Supplement the composition with figures of the eight deputies from the Gironde who advocated the freedom of the individual and welcomed the revolution. It is unknown for what reasons the project was not implemented to the end, but in 1989 the monument was a memorial plaque with the names of the first of the Girondins. Even five years later, the monument was declared a monument of history.

The monument to the Girondins is a fountain in the center of which stands a 50-meter column topped by a winged Freedom, breaking the shackles. Figure of Liberty cast in bronze, and the fountain - the part that was borrowed from a project Bartholdy. The lower part of the column is surrounded by a sculpture called "Triumph of harmony" and "Triumph of the Republic" and the image of History and Eloquence.