/ / Place Wilson: photos, description (Place Wilson)

Place Wilson: photos, description (Place Wilson)

Place Wilson is in the heart of Toulouse, near its Old town. Lead to the wide of the Avenue Jean-jaurès a in 1824, which, in turn, connect the main station to the center, and then go to the side of the canal - the main water artery of Toulouse. The area has been known since the middle Ages.

In 1216 there was a circuit of the outer fortifications, which was a kind of last frontier of the city. This particular place was one of the city gates, called the Gates of the New city (Porte Villenouvelle). They were repeatedly captured - and during the wars with the Huguenots in 1562, and in the end of XVIII century during the French revolution. After it, when it was restored the Bourbon monarchy, it was decided to build on this spot a large city square surrounded by impressive buildings, with fountains and a monumental memorial in its center.

Interestingly, since the arrangement of this area it has changed its name. According to initial plans, it was supposed to be dedicated to the Dauphin Louis, Duke of Angouleme, who in 1830, even nominally "reigned" as king of France, Louis XIX. However, after the July revolution of that year and the exile of Louis and his family was made a reasonable decision to rename the square. However, a suitable candidate to christen it anew is not found, and until 1876 it remained nameless. Then she was named in honor of Lafayette and wrought iron railings.

In 1882 it was decided to build in the center of the square a monument in honor of the Occitan poet Pierre Godley, who lived and worked in Toulouse in the first half of the XVII century. The work was completed only in 1908.

At the beginning of the new Millennium was spent on the improvement of the square - there appeared a pedestrian zone, decorated with porphyry and pink marble, and in 2007 it was moved to the city carousel. Now this place is known as place Wilson, named after American President. There are many old trees, including maples, cedars and Ginkgo, and the sides are scattered a variety of cozy cafes and eateries.