/ / Republic square: photo, description, Place de la Republique)

Republic square: photo, description, Place de la Republique)

Republic square in its present form appeared relatively recently, in 1854. In her story there is almost no bloody excesses characteristic of other Paris area. But the place where it is located, has one of the darkest and most mysterious pages of the middle ages.

In 1222 Treasurer of the knights Templar Hubert founded near the future square impregnable castle temple - the Central tower with a height of 12-storey building, with walls eight metres in thickness. After the defeat in Palestine, the Templars moved most of its treasures. In this part of town the power of the order was undeniable. But early on the morning of 13 October 1307 Royal officials opened the sealed packages with orders to arrest the knights Templar throughout France. In the temple was concluded, then Grand master of the order Jacques de Molay, in 1314 he was burned at the Ile de La Cité. From this point on in the castle lived members of the Royal family - the king took all the property of the order.

From the XIV century near Temple passed the city wall built by Charles V. In 1670, Louis XIV took it: Paris changed the look, the fortified town became an open capital. The king did not manage to destroy the castle of the Templars, and it subsequently languished before his death.

In 1808, the prison was demolished had Napoleon. Small quiet square that was in front of the Temple, the Emperor in 1811, was decorated with a fountain, it was called the Place du Chateau d'oex. the Only time in its history, the crossroads bloodied in 1835: one Joseph Fieschi tried to assassinate for the king Louis-Philippe, using the infernal machine of 24 guns. The king received a scratch, 12 people were killed. But the attempt does not diminish another glory of the square is the first half of the nineteenth century a mass of theatres. Here was born the image of the sad Pierrot.

The change came in 1854: a reformer of Paris, Baron Haussmann, paving wide, straight highways, dramatically expanded the area. The theaters were demolished. There were barracks, the square turned into a huge military parade ground in rectangular shape. In 1879 it was renamed in memory of the Third Republic, laid the foundations of modern society. In the square erected a 10 meter statue of the Republic the work of the brothers léopold and Charles Morice - in a Laurel wreath with an olive branch in his hand. Three female figures around represent Freedom, Equality and Brotherhood. In front of the pedestal is a bronze lion.

Now Republic square is the main venue of the demonstrations of the Parisians in the protection of human rights and social justice.