/ / Chatelet: photos, description (Place du Chatelet)

Chatelet: photos, description (Place du Chatelet)

At châtelet, there are two theater and one fountain. It is located in the city centre, near the Pont-AU-Change, and is one of the important transport hubs of the city.

French chatelet means "knight's castle". In fact, in 1130, Louis VI was built near the bridge Changed (which was already there), the fortress of Grand châtelet, to protect on this side the entrance to the Cité island. But the activities of Philip Curve, the first king of France, who decided to call themselves this title (before it was "kings of the Franks"), was soon built around the Paris wall, and the fortress lost its importance. For centuries it was a prison. In 1802, Napoleon ordered her to carry and deliver in this place a fountain in honor of Imperial victories.

Fountain Wins has a second name - Palm. Designed by the chief engineer of the water supply service in Paris, françois-Jean Bralle, it is decorated with stone palm leaves, between which is engraved a long list of Napoleon's victories. Palm fountain - the pattern of the Napoleonic Empire, combining elements of classical Roman architecture with Egyptian motifs. The column is crowned by a statue of the goddess of Victory the work of Louis Simon Boito.

Opposite each other on the square are two of the most famous theatre-the"twin" châtelet and the City, appeared here during the urban planning reforms of Baron Haussmann. Both buildings were built according to the project of Gabriel Davie, they have the same facades.

City theatre used to be called the "Theatre Sarah Bernhardt", the famous actress in 1899 he rented it. During the occupation the theatre lost its name of the actress is a Jewess. In the 60-ies of the last century the building was renovated by the city and received its present name. The local scene is given a modern choreography.

Opposite is the more famous theatre du Chatelet". Here, in particular, awarded the French national film award "Cesar". In the beginning of XX century here was "Russian seasons" by Sergei Diaghilev. The stage saw Matilda Kshesinskaya, Anna Pavlova, Tamara Karsavina, Vaslav Nijinsky and Sergei Lifar. Here he sang the great Fyodor Chaliapin.