/ / Port Punta: photo description (Port Lympia)

Port Punta: photo description (Port Lympia)

The port of Punta sea gate is nice, not like a regular port. Marinas here close up with a beautiful promenade, the masts of the yachts sticking out in front of the Windows of houses, and the water is clean so that the angler with a fishing rod - the usual figure.

The port needed is always nice, and in the seventeenth century the idea of device-sea Harbor in the East Bay of Angels, in the place of the marshy valley Punta. Construction began in 1748, king Charles Emmanuel III, the works lasted almost a century and a half. During this time, dug two pools, laid the malls, down the road from the Old town. The waters constantly increased. The current size (10 hectares) and shape of the port was visited in 1840. In 1862, when nice was already French, a large Mall set up a makeshift lighthouse. In 1880 there appeared the stone tower, which was later moved to the end of the pier. During the Second world war the lighthouse was bombed by the Nazis, and in 1952 it was restored. Now its height is 21 meters, the red flashing light is visible for 20 nautical miles (37 kilometers).

Moored in the port of large vessels (length up to 190 meters) is visible from the waterfront This Is the Uni that Old town. Yellow-white ferries nice to Bastia go from here to the capital of Corsica (flight speed of the ferry at one end is a 2.5 - 3 hours). Often in the port go a chic cruise ships. Through Limpia in mainland France with Corsica deliver cement produced there. But the main "population" of port - the traditional brightly painted fishing boats and yachts of all classes and sizes. There is a more than five hundred piers.

On the perimeter of the port surrounded by XIX century buildings with reddish and ochre-coloured facades, with balconies and arcades. Since 1853 here is the Church of Notre-Dame-du-port, also known as the Church of the Immaculate Conception. Architect Joseph Vernier has designed it in a neoclassical style facade with four ionic columns added in 1896 by the architect Jules Febvre. The building is topped by a statue of the virgin Mary. Around the countless cafes and restaurants. One of the small quays bears the name of Cassini, the famous family of mathematicians and astronomers originating from these places. The square Gename on the road looking stone the king of Sardinia, Charles Felix of Savoy, a few hundred meters from the monument to the inhabitants of nice who died in wars. On Rue Bonaparte, about three blocks North of the port, there stands the house where in 1794 there lived a young General of artillery, not a suspect, that will become the Emperor of France.

Here it is good to wander, to admire closely crowded with magnificent yachts, to observe the scurrying solemnly sailing boats and cruise ships. Same with the Castle hill, the port is visible at a glance: the blue rectangle surrounded by red-tiled roofs, shells filled with white yachts.