/ / Town hall of Arles: photo description (Hotel de ville d'arles)

Town hall of Arles: photo description (Hotel de ville d'arles)

The town hall in Arles, located on Republic square, opposite the Cathedral Saint-trophime. The construction of the town hall began in the mid-seventeenth century and ended in 1676. The work was carried out about two decades, and as a place of construction was chosen, which was located at the House of the communes of earlier buildings.

Under the decision of members of city Council city hall building is located between the Palace of the Podesta and the Clock tower. The Palace was built in the XIII century and is considered the oldest in the city local government. It now hosts the offices of the municipal officials. The clock tower was built in the mid XVI century in typical Renaissance style and is now seen as part of the building of the town hall, despite the other stylistic decision - the town hall was built already in the traditions of classicism.

One of heads of works on construction of the town hall was the architect Jules Hardouin-Mansart, the court architect of Louis XIV. By the way, the Hardouin-Mansart is the grandson of another architect, françois Masaru, who invented the "mansurovo" roof or simply attic.

The town hall is a three-story Palace, decorated with columns and a pediment with the image of the sun symbol of king Louis XIV. Sculpture in the interior of the hall was created by local sculptor Jean Didier (e.g., stone lions on the stairs of Honour), other decorative elements were made more several artists. Interior decoration of the building of the town hall was partially decorated during the French revolution, but some elements (wooden panels of the XVIII century) is preserved.

Under the town hall are criptoportico underground galleries with arched openings, was built probably by the Romans. Part of the underground galleries were used as a prison.