/ / City hall of Blois: photo, description Hotel de Ville de Blois)

City hall of Blois: photo, description Hotel de Ville de Blois)

Blois hall is situated in the heart of this town just behind the Cathedral of St. Louis. This location is no coincidence, as the original town hall building was used as the Episcopal residence.

The Bishop of Blois appeared quite late - in the late seventeenth century, in 1692. Education Department in this town was due to the fact that the diocese of Chartres, under whose jurisdiction was the city consisted of more than 900 parishes and it was decided to establish his own diocese in the city itself. Also the Catholic authorities wanted a way to deal with an unprecedented influx of Protestants, despite the expiration of the edict of Nantes, deprived the Huguenots of their benefits. As the first Bishop of Blois, king Louis XIV chose one of his friends, his mistress - Madame de Maintenon, David Berthier. He went down in history as the man who perekrestivshis to Catholicism than one hundred of the Huguenots. It should be noted that the creation of the project of the Bishop's residence long delayed and the Grand opening of the Palace took place 12 years later in 1704.

Under the successors of Berthier residence of prestige only grew, was established a library, and introduced a rich collection of fine art. In 1791 the Park in the residence that was open to the public. After the French revolution, the Palace has long stood empty, however, there were meetings of the prefects, and in 1814 visited by the Empress Marie-Louise, second wife of Napoleon. The building served as the Episcopal residence more than 70 years from 1830 to 1905, when a law was passed separating the state from the Church. Before the First world war functioned in the Museum, and then in a former Palace housed a military hospital. Once during the bombing for the Second world war had destroyed the old town hall, the city Council moved to the Episcopal residence.

The building is exquisitely decorated main facade. Consisting of four floors, it resembles a magnificent Palace. On the lower floor has an outdoor terrace. The pediment over the main entrance marked with the coat of arms that belonged to the first Bishop - David Berthier. It is worth noting that the elegant columns are not part of the original construction, they were added later - in the mid-nineteenth century. He was then additionally appointed interior, for example, in the lobby there was a collection of busts of prominent historical figures of France including cardinal Richelieu and Jean-Baptiste Colbert.