/ / Town hall of Calais: photos, description Hotel de ville de Calais)

Town hall of Calais: photos, description Hotel de ville de Calais)

The city hall in Calais - quite a modern building. It was built in the early XX century, from the concrete on the site of the old city hall. The three-story building was erected in the Flemish style by architect Louis Debrouwer and inaugurated in 1925. The municipality is located on the square of the Unknown soldier.

This is a very recognizable building, as close to the building is the tower-belfry with a height of 74 meters. Crowning the tower is a Carillon and a clock, the four dials which are turned to each of the cardinal directions. Belfry among other similar towers in France and Belgium included in the world heritage list of UNESCO.

The building of the town hall symbolizes the Union of the municipalities of Calais and Saint-Pierre, United in 1885. The town hall was built in the place where the border between the communes. In addition, the town hall of Calais is also known as the place where the marriage was the first President of the Fifth Republic of Charles de Gaulle with the future first lady of France Yvonne a Vendres. The main staircase leading into the hall, where was signed the marriage decorated with stained glass paintings depict scenes from the history of Calais. The stained glass Windows were manufactured in Bordeaux, and the main plot was the liberation of Calais from the yoke of the British in the middle of the XVI century.

In front of city hall there is a sculptural group "burghers of Calais", whose author is a famous sculptor Auguste Rodin. The monument was created in the late nineteenth century. Rodin immortalized the images of the six residents who volunteered to be executed for the sake of the other residents, they were saved by the intervention of the wife of king Edward the Third, having had her husband to abolish the death penalty. These events occurred after the capture of Calais by the English in 1347. In the years of the two world wars the inhabitants of the city were forced to hide this monument: the First time - in the basement of the city hall, in the Second it had to be removed in one of the towns of île-de-France.